Monday 2 May 2011

Fishing Inquiry

I've been meaning to post this for a of couple days. D, your post got me to do it.

So Dre and I are moving to Pincher in 1 month. Most mtn water opens for fishing shortly thereafter and I figure I'd like to try my hand at fly fishing this year. I'd like to get a jump on sorting through the myriad of info on the subject and give myself time to hopefully find a used set up to get me going.

My inquiry is simply: what do I need to get started? I am aiming to get everything or most everything used, but what pieces of equipment are more vs. less important--i.e., what should I spent more/less time/money on finding and getting?

Also, I'm planning for a trip Racehorse Creek first or maybe Allison or Star if RH is too busy. Any takers on mid June trip for a few nights?

7 comments:

  1. About the simplest setup I can think of is rotenone and a volleyball net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that would be in tune with the alberta way i suppose.

    was thinking something a little more selective though...

    ReplyDelete
  3. temple fork outfitters is Calgary based, lifetime warranty, and reasonably priced ($200-300) for a 2 to 4 piece. The 4 piece is definitely easier to carry around - that takes the TFO to 300. But i would recommend it.

    D and O know way more so I am sure they can give you more insight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My take on this, which can be taken or left - for the first year or two, the difference between a good rod and a great rod won't be that noticeable. There's room here to get a ≤$200 rod and be happy with it for the next while, before deciding to spend more on a really sweet-feeling rod. I've got a 4-piece, 6wt, 9' St Croix Imperial, which is fine, but not great - if my flyfishing budget was going toward little water and little fish (rather than big water and big fish, as it is now), I'd be ready for a nicer rod (and in a lighter weight, too), but there were years of casting when I first started when this rod was more than good enough for my skills.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I concur. I think Aaron is on the money with the TFO suggestion. They're right in Calgary, so if you break it you can get it replaced fairly quickly, for free, even if you slam it in the car door.

    You would probably be looking for a 5 weight, 9 foot rod. I am a firm believer that one should not skimp on line, no matter how cheap you go with the rod. The fly line I like runs $60-70.

    For a 5 weight the reel i still just a line holder, and you'll rarely need the drag, so spend less on the reel (then put the money towards line).

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool; thanks for the tips.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for the trip - The water will likely be high in mid June, but could be fishable as long as it isn't chocolate milk.

    As I could very well be unemployed by then... I'll say I would be interested.

    ReplyDelete